Tuesday, April 10, 2018

As the deer pants for water

You are the source of my best craving,
my purest hope,
my greatest longing.
You define peace and joy
in your embrace.

By your favor,
I have known freedom.
By your love,
I have known security.

Things that distract me
have come and robbed me of clarity and vision,
Then you come and call me back.
You always rescue
and call me back.

Your love is steadfast
strong and true.
Always lifting, forgiving,
purifying and strengthening me.

I'm so unworthy and so gratful
for your love.

As the deer pants for streams of water,
So my soul pants for you, O God.

You are the source of my best craving,
my purest hope
my greatest longing.

When you come to me
I am whole.
In your will, I am free.
In your presence,
is joy unspeakable.

light of your glory,
  sounds of your love,
    lifting of your pleasure,
      tastes of your joy

All earthly pleasures
only a pale imitation of divine enjoyment.
The goodness of God,
to be savored for all eternity,
only sampled now,
more awaits us than our earthly frame could survive.

Deep calls to deep 
in the roar of your waterfalls;
All your waves and breakers have swept over me.
By day the Lord directs his love,
at night his song is with me-a prayer to the God of my life.

You O God
are the source of my hearts longing
the strength of my soul,
the best good I have ever hoped for
or imagined
And my heart's compass
directs me (always) to you.

1 comment: