Friday, September 2, 2016

Stale Theology

I heard the words in a meeting with my pastor.
Sometimes when I hear words,
my mind pushes pause.
I can't hear anymore.
I just linger in my thoughts.

Trying to understand.

It goes like this.
I rewind
and listen again.
"Did I hear that right?"
"Is it true?"
"Is this supported by Scripture?"
"How can this change me?"

I did all that.
Sometimes when the words are important,
they come back to me
(as weeks pass)
and I'm changed by them.

The meeting was about prayer.
It was about things that hinder prayer,
"Stale theology can hinder our prayers"
he said.
I'm not exactly sure what came next
(this was one of those paused moments).

"Give us this day, our daily bread" Mtt 6:11
"brings out of his storeroom new treasures
as well as old" Mtt.13:52
"but be transformed by the renewing of your mind"

Yep. It's supported by Scripture
but what does this "stale theology" look like?

Protect me from it, Lord.
(I prayed this morning)
from stale theology!

I don't want to wrap up what I "know"
with a bow
and reject fresh wisdom
(manna for the day)!

I want to test everything and hold on to the good!
I don't want to despise a profit,
but glean good stuff from them!

If a tree is pruned and doesn't change,
it's dead!
God prune me,
remove what is not helpful,
what is yesterday's manna!

Help me grow and change
from glory to glory,
for Your glory
and because I bare your Name!

God let me work out my salvation
with fear and trembling,
help me to press-on to win the prize!
After I do all to stand,
I want to keep standing!

Search me God,
and know my anxious thoughts,
test me and try me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.


No comments:

Post a Comment