Friday, June 21, 2013

What good is silence, if you cant hear the Lord

Rest for the ears is good,
a break from sound.
Making peace with self is good,
but one can be too introspective.

I heard the words:
What good is silence
if you cant hear the Lord?
Be still and know that I am God.

I am compelled to retrete
to quiet places,
but is it the quiet of my youth,
playing alone till
single parent father
returns home?

Is it the quiet of my
early motherhood,
longing for stillness
a break
from busy bodies?

Is it the quiet
from my "mountain top"
moments,
where I hear His voice
know His nearness
experience His glory?

Or is it the awkward,
hopeful,
"Will I hear Him?"
quiet
from my most everyday
mornings?

Have I become content
with busying my daydreaming mind
on trailing off,
nonsense prayers,
sometimes not remembering the beginning
at the end?

Is it the not-enough-sleep morning
quiet
where my coffee
is my dearest companion
rather than the glory of the Lord.

Worthless...
A beating against the wind,
worse,
a religious task.

God protect me from going through the motions.
Protect me from auto-pilot quiet time,
that is ritual and routine.
I want to meet with You
and hear Your voice.
More than want,
I crave,
hunger
and rely
on Your voice,
to speak into the darkness
and create the Light.

Take my tumultuous life
and bring purpose and order
to my chaos.

God I come to the silence,
not to excape the sound,
but to meet with You.

Please remove
my separating sin,
my debilitating distractions,
and focus my eyes on you.

You have not run out of things to say.
I have not grown beyond Your teachings.
Speak Lord,
for Your servant is listening.


Faithful One
True and Honorable
comes to meet with you.
I do not come as a visiting king
who leaves his castle to visit other lands.
I come as a King
who is your companion and guide.
In the noise,
and in the silence
I speak.
I am near.
You must choose distractions
or My voice to lead you.

The more you are still in the silence
the more you will hear.
The more you turn your thoughts to Me
in the chaos of your day,
the more equipped you will be
(both for yourself,
and for those who need your input).

Let my words be scattered like seeds
and fall where they may,
I will bring the growth,
I will produce the fruit,
and we will rejoice in the harvest.

Be still and know that I am God.
Draw near to me
and I draw near to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment